Angie's blog

Angie is a simple girlie who believes that her life is governed by God's mercy, grace and wisdom. This blog site solely used for her to express her thoughts and experiences in life.

Tuesday, October 19

Home Sweet Home

The moment I walked into the luggage claim area, I could see both Mom & Dad peering through the glass doors, and their faces lit up like christmas trees!!! Yes, they were really happy to see the homecoming of the prodigal daughter haha!

I lugged both my baggage and backpack as I walked out of area and went straight to Mom & Dad, giving them big, tight hugs. I peered closely to their faces, and would like to give both of them a big kiss, but that won't do, it's Sabah, and it's a conservative place, and I would embarass my parents for doing that!! haha! No matter how controlled I was, my eyes were still filled with unshed tears when I looked at them - I noticed new lines and more gray hairs on them. My parents have grown much older, and it once again made me promise to myself that I should come home more often just to see them. For the umpteenth time I've been telling myself this over the years, I didn't quite make it. Year 2004 is a year to remember, as I've made it home twice - more times than I ever did in any other year over the span of 14 years since I first left home.

Though homecoming this time wasn't solely for seeing Mom & Dad, but for Jo's wedding. I love Jo to bits and pieces, and wouldn't miss her wedding for the world. I have regretted to this day that I missed Marianne's more than 2 years ago, but I promised to make it up by being there for the christening of her first born (it's still in the making, nothing in the oven yet! lol).

When we got home, dinner was ready for me - all the goodies Mom cooked, yums! They watched me while I ate, like they couldn't get enough of looking at me - that's my parents for you! Dad later on took out to videotapes, saying that he has taped down the opening and closing ceremonies of the 2004 Olympic games (Athens). It's interesting that Dad has always remembered that I have always wanted to watch things of such. I've not watched any of those for the past 2 Olympics... hmmm, but promised Dad that I'll watch it with him after Jo's wedding.

Soon after dinner, Marianne arrived at the house, as we were expected to have a short meeting with Jo on what we should be doing for the wedding on the next morning. Yes, both Marianne and I were bridesmaids for Jo. Both Mom & Dad wished that I don't have to do so much work over the weekend so that I could spend more time with them, in which I carefully did prioritise my time just for them, and some for Jo and Marianne. Everything turned out well. I'm glad.

Though at Jo's wedding, lots of things were on ad hoc basis - both Marianne and I were the main runners for Jo, and everything fell into place - whew! Thanks to everyone too - they all handled it really well. Poor Jo was stressed out like mad, and probably didn't really enjoy her wedding as much as she should have. Nevertheless, the wedding at the church and the dinner at night turned out really, really well! We're all happy!

It's a pity that I had to rush back to KL the very next night after Jo's wedding, and in my heart, I'm both glad that I will be sleeping on my own bed and having everything familiar again back in KL. Somehow, 'home' in Sabah, isn't so much a 'home' to me anymore despite growing up there. I was a visitor to see my parents, and in the house, I could still see some memorablia of my presence there. Despite all my things being tucked away and wrapped up by Mommy dearest (so that dust won't get to it), and basically, anything that was about 'me' were just pictures on the wall, and those little knick knacks and handicrafts that I made for decoration as I was growing up. I had to tear my eyes from wanting to notice this and that, as I knew I was pressing for time to rush to Jo's side, and also spend more time with Mom and Dad.

I managed to wake up really early for church on Sunday morning - I only had 2 hours' sleep. I went about my business and wandered to the little hallway to the bedrooms... there, I saw a large, framed charcoal portrait of the 24-year-old me was leaning at the top of the book shelf. That portrait dates back to 1995, almost 10 years ago, I was at the streets of London, and painters would take 10 pounds for every portrait drawn. I did exactly that, sat myself down on a tiny stool with my sister watching me, and had the portrait done. I looked at it again at this day and age, and remembered what my life was all about then. Before I got too dreamy and too sentimental, Dad walked up behind me, and joined me to look at the framed picture and he said, "you know what, the picture doesn't really look like you, white men don't know how to bring out the best of Asian features". Funny! lol Following that statement, he did some funny antics looking back and forth me and the picture lol. Mom soon joined us, with a toothbrush in her mouth, and looked at the picture - all three of us - still in our pyjamas lol. Hmmm... there and then, I realised that the sweetest thing about home is because Mom & Dad are there. I will make it home once again, really soon.